Recipe: (makes 2x 8″ cakes)
- 8oz Dark Chocolate, 65% Cacao
- 8oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 12oz granulated sugar
- 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5oz EVOO
- Ganache topping
- To make the ganache topping, put 12oz of dark chocolate (65% cacao) into a stainless steel (or glass) bowl. Heat up 10oz of heavy cream in a small sauce pot until it looks like it is ready to start boiling up. Pour the cream into the chocolate and wait about 45 second, then start to whisk slowly until the milk and chocolate are incorporated. Take 4 oz of room temperature unsalted butter and add and melt into mix. You can let cool and store into refrigerator for later use. You will need to heat the gnash in a bain-marie to melt so it can be poured over the dessert.
- Preheat Oven to 375F.
- Using a bain-marie (or the 5qt bowl of your kitchen aid mixer on top of a pot with simmering water), place the chocolate and the butter until its melted.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the sugar.
- Once the bowl has cooled, start “slowly” adding the eggs (the mix should not be hot or the eggs will coagulate). Mix completely until all eggs are incorporated in the chocolate.
- Add the EVOO.
- Slowly start adding the cocoa powder, this will take effort to mix into the chocolate so be patient and do NOT try to mix it all at once or it will become very messy!
- Split the mix into (2) 8″ springforms and place in the oven for 20-22 minutes until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out dry. Do Not Over Bake!
- Place the springforms on a rack to cool. After an hour remove the cakes from the springforms, cover and place in the refrigerator.
- After 2 hours remove the cakes and place on a rack on a sheet pan and pour the ganache mixture over the cake to encase the entire top and sides. Place back into refrigerator and leave until ready to slice… oh so good!!!!
- Serve with a Tawny PORT!!!